Friday, January 1, 2010

Wedding cake of the day archive - WCOTD

Much like my Christmas tree of the day thread, this will be my wedding cake of the the day archive. Every day in the upper-left hand corner of my website there will be a picture of a cake. This cake will be the official wedding cake for the day. When you click on the picture it will direct you to this thread which will (in addition to showing you a larger picture of the cake) give you the details of the cake and any stories associated with it.
The reason for me putting certain wedding cakes here as opposed to my other regular threads is because of their unique charm...or some crap like that. Enjoy!



Fruity
Photographer: thisistami (flickr.com)
Place: Edison, New Jersey
WCOTD: 1/29/10

A great cake and cool concept even if it's not my kind of thing. Maybe I'd dig it more if instead of oranges and limes it alternated between strawberries and blueberries. Just an idea.
Also, that bow looks a little out of place.




A Rose By Any Other Name
Photographer: Victoriafee (flickr.com)
Place: Ridgefield, CT (USA)
WCOTD: 1/28/10

Is there a better symbol for new found love than a red rose? Yeah, you're right. How about a whole buttload of red roses!! Now lets stick them on top of a scrumptious chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. Mmmhmm...sweet delicious love.




Bumble Bee
Maker: Jamie Anderson
Place: Canada
WCOTD: 1/27/09

To make up for my two day absence from my wedding cake of the day thread. I'm posting this delightful bee wedding cake. Isn't it adorable? Why a bee and daisies you ask? Apparently the bride was a biologist. See? Makes perfect sense.



Took a tinsy snowboarding trip here so missed the wedding cake of the day for Monday and Tuesday (1/25-1/26). Whoops :-S Don't kill me!


Mrs. Flowers
Maker: Mirabelle Catering
Place: Port Townsend, WA
WCOTD: 1/22/10

While the cake has a beautiful design all around it I think the best thing about it is the flowers placed around the rims. It was a particularly good idea to place it at the bottom of the base to get it that "full" look.




Bridal gown
Maker: Lori Hernandez
Place: Grand Rapids, MI (USA)
WCOTD: 1/21/10

Another cake based on the bride's gown. I dare say that this cake is taking after the dress a little more seriously than most. The baker says, "The dress had lots of detail on top, ribbing/boning in the corset type waist and a flowing, billowing skirt." In case you couldn't tell, the top tier represented the torso of the dress, the middle tier the corset area and the bottom tier was the skirt. I love the effort made into the fluctuations of the bottom tier to make it look like the bottom of a gown.




We Got a Shiner
Maker: Grace Of Cakes
Place: Orange County, CA (USA)
WCOTD: 1/20/10

Usually when one gets a shiner they aren't very happy. But that's not the case for bride and groom Rehana and Tyson. According to the baker, "They requested a robins egg blue and brown tiered cake with ivy and leaves. The groom also requested a logo that they had made with their letters on the cake."
I'd say they got what they wanted. However, I'm on the edge on whether or not they should have taken that floor buffer over it.




Cotton Candy Carousal
Photographer: Sharon Keller
Place: Portland, OR (USA)
WCOTD: 1/19/10

Yet another cake that makes it on my wedding cake of the day list due to it's similarity to a shade of cotton candy.




The Big T
Owner: Chris Tirello (flickr.com)
Place: Oklahoma City, OK (USA)
WCOTD: 1/18/10

Cool, texture, beautiful flowers, great cake. The groom says, "The cake, it tasted better than it looked, and it looked great."
It sure does! I'm assuming the giant T stand for Tirello?




Vintage Green
Maker: CAKE Chester
Place: Chester. Cheshire UK
WCOTD: 1/15/10

I adore this cake. It's simply marvelous! It reminds me of something that would have come out of the 50s. Especially with that green that was so big during that period. It's something that a rich or upper-middle class couple would have chosen. The maker agrees and says, "It oozes romance and class."




Pretty Please? With Flowers on top!
Photographer: godutchbaby (flickr.com)
Place: Palo Alto, CA (USA)
WCOTD: 1/14/10

Very beautiful! This cake was made for a Chinese wedding. Now all I want to know is whether or not all those orchids are edible. I've always held the belief that every part of the cake (except for the topper and stand) should be some sort of food product. But I can forgive this cake if that's not the case :-)




Flashlight
Photographer: somenametofoget (flickr.com)
Place: Cape May, NJ (USA)
WCOTD: 1/13/10


I usually don't like seashell themed cakes but this one didn't go overboard giving it a delicate feel. The off-white cake, pink roses and slight detail work well together too. I just wish they found something better than a flashlight to stick on top :-(




Butterfly Express
Maker: Sweet! Cupcakes and Treats
Place: Pakenham, Victoria (Australia)
WCOTD: 1/12/10


This cake is so beautiful. It really makes you feel like you are in the center of a whirlwind of butterflies.



Pin-Cushion
Photographer: Allshots Imaging
Place: Adelaide, Australia
WCOTD: 1/11/10

Wow, this is my first wedding cake from Australia. How exciting!
The giant "S" holder must stand for "Sensational" pin-cushion cake. What a cute way to keep all my sewing needles organized. Oh, and I'm sure it tastes yummy too ;-)





Sweep Lilies
Photographer: wyldanthem (flickr.com)
Place: Maryland, USA
WCOTD: 1/10/10

The sweep (as I like to call it) is a common decoration on a wedding cake. It's where the flowers sweep up around the cake as it does in this picture. It's usually done with roses but I have yet to see it with lilies. Until now. When asked about the cake the photographer says, "I was having so much fun at the open bar, I honestly couldn't tell you what kind of cake it was. But doesn't it look yummy?"
Damn open bars. Get you every time.





Metallica
Cake Maker: Sugar Rush Confections (flickr.com)
Place: USA
WCOTD: 1/09/10

I wanted to include this cake because my archive was starting to seem like a "pink/red/purple" only thread. At times it's good to always add a little wrench in things. As far as color goes anyways. Speaking of which, I've never seen such a metallic looking wedding cake before. It looks like it was spray painted in the same stuff the tin man was. It was also a good excuse to name it after the pop rock band Metallica.
It's simple and nice to look at though. The scroll on the bottom was made to match the wedding invitations. The maker is quite proud of her handiwork, "The scroll had to be free handed as the real design was even more detailed, and just would have been overboard. Nothing like making it up as you go along!
But, in the end, I was really happy, and I hope they were too!"
I say, nothing like being proud of your work! Doing the scroll with a pen would be hard. I couldn't imagine with a tube of frosting :-o




Nice Layout
Cake Photographer: Rita Lee
Place: USA
WCOTD: 1/08/10

This wedding cake is nicely done even if the design is a bit obvious. I included it due to the layout. The light purple petal theme throughout is pretty, making it nice to look at. It also reminds me of cotton candy. Or clouds when they get that purply tint and look like cotton candy.




Wallpaper
Cake Owner: Amy & Robert
Place: Toronto, Canada
WCOTD: 1/07/10

Simple cake although it's nice how the widths in each section vary randomly.
Speaking of tiers, like most wedding cakes today they varied in flavor:
"Each tier had a different filling, but all were white cakes. One was plain vanilla, one had some mixed fresh berries, etc."
I'll take the plain vanilla please :-D




More Ribbon Than Cake
Cake Photographer: Extra Medium (flickr.com)
Place: Los Angeles, CA

WCOTD: 1/06/10

This cake caught my sight due to the huge ribbons on it. As I pointed out in the title, it's more ribbon than cake!
What I like about the ribbon though is that it's nice and tight. I notice that many times ribbon tends to be loose on wedding cakes giving them a sloppy, unprofessional look.




Baby's Breath
Cake Owner: Sheeshoo (flickr.com)
Place: Austin, TX
WCOTD: 1/05/10

I like the the whooping amount of baby's breath on this cake (and on the table piece in the background). The cake itself may look rather plain but a closer look shows there is more detail.

The sister of the bride says, "My mom did a wonderful job on the wedding cake even with the arthritis in her hands. it was beautiful (and yummy!)".





Lady Fingers Galore
Cake Maker: Mirabelle Catering
Place: West USA
WCOTD: 1/04/10

Lady Fingers make me want to gag, but I like the grand set-up of this cake.
Especially, the oh-so-subtle giant rose topper that looks like it's sinking in quicksand frosting.




A little girl's room
Cake Maker: Jamie Anderson
Place: Canada
WCOTD: 1/03/10

All I can think of when I see this cake is a little girls room.
Not exactly my taste but I'm thinking some of you girly girls will get a flashback to your girly childhoods and appreciate it :-D




Codern
Cake Owner: Matt&Erica (matttanderica09.com)
Place: New York, USA
WCOTD: 1/02/10

I hereby classify this cake as a "codern". The word is a combination of the words modern and classic. The cake has a very modern design with the dots, thick stripes and lack of frills. However it is still mostly white, round and has the classic three tiers. Thereby making it an official codern.




Traditional My Butt
Cake Maker: CAKE Chester
Location: Chester, Cheshire UK
WCOTD: 1/1/10


When I found this cake I noticed that the maker titled it a "Tradition Wedding Cake". I'll have to respectfully disagree. My argument is that it has too much of an angled, colorful and modern look going for it. See, and you thought I was just including the word "butt" in the title for no reason.
Anyways, I love everything about this cake from the contrasting angles to the dashing claret ribbon. I dare say it's a suiting start to my archive! *squeezes mustache*

3 comments:

  1. I drive by this building every day, with a giant "T" on top of it. I wonder what they do there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are ignorant. Everyone knows that under any giant "T" is a buttload of gold.

    ReplyDelete