Friday, January 8, 2010

Question! A beautiful cake or a tasty cake?

It's a question brides have been asking since the dawn of time. Do I want a good looking Wedding Cake or a yummy cake?
Now some might say, I want both. Duh! Well buddy, it's a hypothetical question. So yeah, awkward moment for you huh?
Anywho, I thought of this question when I saw this picture posted:

It's not exactly the best looking or neatest wedding cake I've ever seen. Then, I saw the comment made by the baker of this cake (Secret Chocolatier - Charlotte, SC): "We have the best tasting wedding cakes. We build them more for deliciousness. "
Wow! First comment like that I've heard so far. I continued to read an article from them found here and saw another comment they made (about a little theory they have): "The better it looks, the less it's going to taste".
This is one of the reasons that they don't use fondant. They agree that the awesome airbrushed style of many fondant cakes is great looking but they refuse to take part. Instead, focusing on the actual "base" of the cake. Crazy huh?

So by their theory, this tastes great:

(Even if it does look a bit, um...slimy.)

And this, not so great:

That's right. Cakes are like people. They are all hollow inside no matter how badly you want to have sex with them.

As a blogger that is focusing on wedding cakes (until Valentine's Day) it's hard to say how much taste matters since all my pictures are obviously about show. Hard to taste a picture, know what I mean?
It started to make me wonder what I would pick come my wedding day. I know one thing, I'm going to try my best to avoid shortening. I can only hope [UPDATE: Read the comments below, they DO indeed use butter.] that the Secret Chocolatier only uses butter since they claim, "We make things with traditions and handmade qualities in mind".
Of course all too often companies call their chemical laden creations "homemade". I'm not saying it's the case here but there is a good chance. I also know that in bakery school they more often than not make Crisco the ingredient for choice when it comes to frosting and cakes.
Looks like (just like everything else in life) we can trace back the bland, tasteless, shelf stabilized, freakishly sturdy cakes (even on hot days) to schools. When will we learn!

What do you bloggers think? For your wedding day would you choose:

1. An airbrushed masterpiece that tastes ok.
OR
2. A homely wedding cake that tastes awesome!


Choose your pick and say why in comments!

6 comments:

  1. I would have to go with tasty too.

    I LOVE all the awesome designs cakes can have. Even so, as a lover of sugar I would have to say that nothing beats delicious white cake with butter cream frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I have some trans fat please? It lubricates my heart valves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, The Secret Chocolatier here. We stand true to our use of the good love of butter. ;) While many large companies might want to green wash their quality we're small, family oriented, and big believers in ideas like Slow Food so yes, we use as traditional a recipe set as we can to make something that can give you a moment you can enjoy.

    For cakes you can have one that looks like a painting, created by an architect and might have a cake inside that is fairly normal--if you're lucky--but why?

    Why create something that mirrors such a superfluous life? Be something beautiful, something artisanal, something unique, and by all something that you want to run your finger through and shout, Yum! hehe!

    Like you said though it's hard to taste something through a picture, even make a good assessment of it's value that's why you should trial out your cake makers in your area. Find out what their practices and thoughts are.

    Like we say in Slow Food, you vote with your fork, every day. On a wedding day or special occasion just what is your fork voting for and representing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much for your input!!I am SOOO happy to hear that you do use REAL butter!! I will correct my post to say such.

    ReplyDelete