Friday, December 17, 2010

Black Christmas Tree from Borders - Blackie

As I have stated many times before, I absolutely adore black Christmas trees. But believe it or not, I used to be against them.
Last year my fiancee and I were contemplating which 2 ft Christmas tree we should purchase at Borders Books. The trees were surprisingly decent quality. They were small but the way the branches were placed they didn't look sparse or straggly as some other fake Christmas trees I've see.
They also had many colors to choose from: Blue, Green, Pink, rainbow, red, white...

Photo by Ann Squires
...and black.
I desired the green one but my fiancee lusted for the black one. I of course rolled my eyes at the thought of a black Christmas tree. I had to set him straight,"Look, this isn't Halloween. This is Christmas. If you want to get a black tree to decorate for a future Halloween that's fine. But I'm not having a black Christmas".
(Please accept my apology if that last line forced you to remember the terrible B-rated disaster movie that was Black Christmas.)

Anyways, around the time that we were getting bored with talking to each other, a Borders employee came up to us and said, "Oh you should get the black one! I got one for my apartment and when you are done with putting on all the ornaments and garland it really sparkles!"
So because of this uninvited stranger butting into our conversation to start spewing her unrequested opinion all over us, it looked like we had no choice but to take the black Christmas tree home that day.

After we did so and decorated it, we had fell in love with the little guy. He was so cute and yet so dark. But as it turned out, all he really wanted was to be decorated with Christmas joy so that he could live out his Christmas destiny. (His Christmas destiny, by the way, was to use his little black plastic pine needles to make the room glow with Christmas loveliness...duh! And if you would like to see how he was decorated for Christmas 2009, click here.)

I honestly wasn't too fond of the way the photo turned out from last year. In person it looked ok but the camera made it look a little awkward.
So this year, we positioned the tree limbs a little better and changed the color theme a bit as well.

I personally think the star topper is an improvement from the previous year's green pointy thing.
The other things I've noticed is that the tree looks like it's more "tree shaped" this year and the white garland looks a hell of a lot better than the silver garland from last year.

Let us turn off the lights so that we may see it in it's glowing splendor.

Ah, yes indeed! That is what I call a soft glow of Christmas loveliness.

And that is why I love my little black Christmas tree from Borders.


Epilogue
Next year I do plan on having a larger tree. Perhaps, a 4ft fake white one to put up in the living room. You see, after getting together our gifts to put by the tree, we realized we didn't have enough room to actually put them under the tree. So instead we just piled them next to the tree in a tower that is now larger than Blackie! Only a few of the smaller ones were able to be squeezed underneath.
Hopefully, for Christmas 2011 we will have that 4ft tree to be the official protector of the Christmas presents.

But don't worry. We will still put up cute little Blackie in the bedroom to spread his Christmas joy.



No comments:

Post a Comment